On Sunday, Matthew preached the message, "Solus Christus Part II" as part of our current series, The Five Solas. The message was based upon Hebrews 2:5-18, specifically focusing on verses 14-16. Below are a few discussion questions for Community Group or personal study this week, followed by a recap from the meeting. To access a PDF of projection from the message, click here. To listen to the message again, visit our Audio Resources page.
1. Reread Hebrews 2:14-16 and explain what these verses are teaching about the identity of Christ. How does this specific identity link to the sufficiency of the work of Christ?
2. Matthew taught that whenever we sin, we are choosing to follow someone. Who is that someone that Matthew was talking about? What was your reaction to this? Have you ever viewed sin as more of an abstract concept as opposed to a choice against righteousness?
3. Why was tempting Adam so strategic on Satan's part? Why do we naturally inherit the sin and evil nature of the first humans?
4. What is the result of the fear of death? What truths combat this fear?
5. Have you experienced the freedom that comes when you are released from the fear of death? Even when one is living in freedom, does that mean that the fear goes away completely? How should the Christian respond when they recognize that they struggle with the condemnation of this fear?
6. When you encounter nonbelievers who are afraid of death, what will you say to them? How would you explain the freedom that Christ alone brings? How would you explain this concept to children in your life?
Josh began our time with announcements and a call to worship.
Kevin read Psalm 138 and we sang Hark the Herald Angels Sing and Joy to the World.
We recited the Nicene Creed together and sang He Who Is Mighty.
Matthew prayed a prayer of intercession and we sang Resurrection Song.
Duane Williams read Hebrews 2:14-16 and Matthew preached the message "Solus Christus, Part II" as part of our current series, The Five Solas.
After the message we sang Christ is Risen and A Mighty Fortress is Our God and Josh closed our time with a benediction.
Posted on Tue, December 19, 2017
by Serena Walker filed under