Here is a brief review of our meeting on Sunday, followed by quotes highlighted during the sermon, and questions for Community Group discussion or personal study this week.
Matthew began our time of worship with prayer and we sang Glorious and Mighty, His be the Victor's Name, and Grace Alone.
Matthew read 1 Chronicles 29:11-14 and Juan Ledon sang He's Always Been Faithful.
Sara Campbell and her son Nathan gave a testimony about how their family is caring for the homeless men and women in our community by distributing care packages with basic amenities and a Bible.
After the testimony, Remie Verougstraete read the text for the message, Mark 5:1-20. Gene preached the next message in our series, Son of God: The Gospel According to Mark. The message was titled "Deliver us from Evil" and can be listened to again here.
After the message we sang Mighty Fortress and In Christ Alone.
Josh invited visitors to stop by the Connect Desk and reminded everyone of the upcoming Baptism Service. He closed our time together by praying a benediction.
After the meeting, we all shared a potluck lunch in the foyer.
Quotes highlighted during the message:
"Though we are not tortured by the devil, yet he holds us as his slaves, till the Son of God delivers us from his tyranny. Naked, torn, and disfigured, we wander about, till he restores us to soundness of mind."--John Calvin
"Have we anything to tell others? Can we testify to any work of grace in our hearts? Have we experienced any deliverance from the power of the world, the flesh, and the devil? Have we ever tasted the graciousness of Christ?…If we have anything to tell others about Christ, let us resolve to tell it. Let us not be silent, if we have found peace and rest in the Gospel. Let us tell them what the Lord has done for our souls!" --JC Ryle
1. Gene taught that this passage addresses three main questions. As you reflect on his message, answer them for yourself.
a. How are we to understand evil?
b. How do we deal with evil in society?
c. How can we deal with evil in our own hearts?
2. Gene said that when Jesus encountered the demons inside the possessed man, "the fight was not evenly matched". What did he mean by this? What significance does Jesus' authority over the demons in this passage have for Christians?
3. Gene read Colossians 1:12-14. Considering this text, why didn't Satan destroy us before we became Christians? Why did his power not wipe us out?
4. There are two different types of fear: A healthy fear of God, and an unhealthy fear of evil. Describe and contrast these two types. Which one is more present in your life today?
5. Gene also read John 10:10. On the cross, Jesus took the judgement and hung in darkness so that we may have life. What is the only proper response to such a truth? Christ is able to deliver and deliverance leads to praise. Is your life reflective of a heart of praise?
Posted on Tue, February 3, 2015
by Serena Walker