Sunday Review - November 9
Here is a brief review of our meeting on Sunday, followed by a few discussion questions for Community Group this week.
Matthew opened with reading Psalm 111 and we sang Our Song From Age to Age and Not In Me.
Matthew read Ephesians 2:8 and we sang Grace Alone and All Glory Be to Christ.
Matthew read Proverbs 3:9-10 and invited us to give our tithes and offerings.
Craig Smith spoke about Operation Christmas Child and invited all to attend the shoebox packing party after the meeting next Sunday, November 16th.
Matthew prayed and Gene read the text for his message: Mark 2:13-17. His sermon was entitled "Jesus Friend of Sinners" as part of our series, Son of God: The Gospel According to Mark.
After the message we sang I Stand Amazed (How Marvelous) and Grace Alone.
Gene closed with a benediction and invited visitors to check out the Connect Desk on their way out and to consider attending Starting Point November 14-15.
- Gene taught that in the flawed life of Levi, Jesus saw what no one else could. The same is true for us--God works primarily through our weaknesses so that everyone may know that it is His power at work in our lives. What is one area in yourself that the world would deem a weakness but that God instead is using for His glory?
- We learned that the One who called Levi still works today. Therefore, we should never despair over another's situation but instead hope and pray continually. What does this sort of prayer life look like on a daily basis?
- When Jesus called Levi to follow Him, his response was to rise immediately, follow Jesus, and host a banquet for his fellow sinners. In doing so, many of Levi's old friends had the opportunity to commune with Jesus as well. What are some practical goals that you (as an individual, family, and community group) can have to help you have a similar response and outreach when the Lord calls?
- The Pharisees in this account faltered by making their traditions and rituals of equal value with the law. In doing so, they relied on their own self-righteousness instead of relying on grace. What is a time in the past year that you had a similar mindset?
- Gene taught that, ultimately, this passage uncovers our need for a Savior. Are you fully convinced of this need in your life?
Posted on Tue, November 11, 2014
by Serena Walker